Game Day Barbacoa
God knew humans would have a hard time letting go of Summer, which is why He created football. God also suspected creating football could create a whole lot of work for anyone with a big screen and a couple of couches, so He created the slow cooker.
Whether you're hosting a viewing party or just need a hands-off, delicious meal, this recipe for Barbacoa Beef can be started the night before or morning of, because you shouldn't have to throw a Hail Mary.
Our Tailgate Share contains the brisket you need for this recipe, plus easy-to-grill ribs and dry-aged ground beef. Get it here!
- 1, 4-5 lb beef brisket (beef chuck roast will also work)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 - 4 chipotle chilis in adobo (add 1 Tbsp of the sauce if you like it spicy)
- 1¼ cups beef broth - make your own using beef bones!
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1½ Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- ¾ tsp salt, then more to taste
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cut the beef into large cubes. Sear on each side in a large skillet, and transfer to your slow cooker.
- In a food processor or blender add adobo chilis, beef broth, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, cloves, and lime juice. Pulse until blended and pour on top of the meat.
- Cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 6 hours. Shred the meat with two forks and turn on warm.
- Serve on top of tortilla chips or as tacos topped with cilantro, avocado, and tomato.