Beer Braised Chuck Steak & Veggies
Chuck Steak comes from the front of the animal, and is generally a lean cut. It does best prepared 'low and slow,' and we love the way it tastes with this dark beer braise. This recipe, adapted from Rachel Ray, can be done in either the oven or a slow cooker, and takes just over 2 hours from start to finish. Enjoy!
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 2 cups dark beer
- 1 pound boneless chuck steak, cubed
- 5 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300F .
- In a large, heavy ovenproof pot or Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium flame for about 5 minutes. Stir in the onion and the sugar.
- Cover and cook over medium flame, stirring occasionally, until the onion is deep brown, about 12 minutes. Stir in the beer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chopped carrots, potatoes and beef to the pot. Stir in the ground allspice, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer over medium flame.
- Cover, transfer to the oven and cook until the beef and vegetables are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves
- Serve warm with crusty bread.