The Second Most Tender Cut on the Entire Beef: Flat Iron Steak
Mojo Flat Iron Steak
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle chile powder
- 1 (1-pound) flat iron steak, trimmed. get it here.
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled seeded cucumber
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
Combine orange rind, orange juice, lime rind, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1 tablespoon oil, and next 4 ingredients (through chipotle) in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add steak, turning to coat. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature, turning occasionally.
Heat a grill pan over high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Sprinkle steak with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add steak to pan; grill 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare or to desired degree of doneness. Place steak on a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes. Slice steak across the grain.
Combine remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining ingredients in a bowl. Serve with steak.